>> Mindfulness Meditation & Chronic Pain
Mindfulness Meditation & Chronic Pain
Through the practice of present moment awareness, a person becomes cognizant of the thoughts, feelings and impulses that are unfolding and can attend to the relevant feedback messages of the body and mind. This expanded awareness provides greater options for appraisal and response to the perceived situation presented in the experience of chronic pain. Research on Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and chronic pain has recently demonstrated changes to the pain transmission pathway in only an 8-week period of practice.
- Understanding the relationship of mindfulness to chronic pain states
- Massage therapists can improve outcomes for their clients by supporting their clients and their own mindfulness
- Simple principles of doing this are explored
- Limits of mindfulness practices and massage therapy and when to refer for counselling
- 47-minute Video of Theory, Practice and Questions and Answers
- Course Manual of 64 power point slides
Please note this course will take most people 2 hours to absorb all the new information.
- In-Course Links to Mindfulness Resources, Journal Articles and Training
This course is a recording of Linda's presentation at the 2014 Pain Research Conference sponsored by Pain BC and the Massage Therapists Association of British Columbia.
Linda Turner, RN, PhD, is the manager of Health and Human Services at Langara College in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada where she also teaches Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). She studied MBSR at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center where she became a certified instructor. She is a registered nurse who has worked extensively with patients in pain in Vancouver, San Francisco and Toronto. Linda completed an Interdisciplinary PhD investigating pain and complementary therapies at the University of British Columbia. She has a strong interest in incorporating alternative and complementary modalities into the mainstream of health care and she is the president of the Canadian Holistic Nurses Association.
If this course does not help you significantly improve your knowledge or clinical skills, notify us within 30 days of the purchase date and we will refund your purchase price.